Blurred Vision

Do You Wish To...
Blurred Vision

Do You Wish To...
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Headunits -

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
xr6_ghia

Headunits -  Empty
PostSubject: Headunits -    Headunits -  EmptySat Jul 09, 2011 2:07 am

in this thread discuss what headunits you guys run, what there specs are and how they meet your requirements.
this thread can then be used as a reference for young people looking at getting into car audio
Back to top Go down
sm0089

sm0089

Headunits -  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Headunits -    Headunits -  EmptySun Jul 10, 2011 6:51 am

I run Pioneer head unit, Pioneer 6 inch splits in front, Pioneer 6.5 inch in rear, Alpine s seriers Amp and Subwoofer in the lancer and looking at getting some speakers for the XR wondering if anyone has any advice?
Back to top Go down
Hargs

Hargs

Headunits -  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Headunits -    Headunits -  EmptySun Jul 10, 2011 10:17 am

I've had a few head units and i find that it doesn't matter which brand you have, it doesn't change the quality of the sound. As long as the unit has the features you want such as ipod connectivity or in my case, cool blue lights, it doesn't really matter. I find the quality to come from the amps and speakers.
Back to top Go down
xr6_ghia

Headunits -  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Headunits -    Headunits -  EmptySun Jul 10, 2011 10:37 am

beleive it or not hargs it does...it all depends on the output voltage of the pre-outsmose of the headunits these days are 3-4 volt outputs...the higher end ones are 5volts and up which obviously the more the voltage out to the amp, the better the sound quality is going to be...but in turn you need to match the amps pre-in voltage to the headunit most of the time...most high end amps will take up to around 8volts input

and sam it depends on what you want to acheive...i know theres a kit you can buy that adapts to the ba-bf ICC which acts like a pre-amp, from there you can run rca's to the amps to power the system...but yea i think there not the normal 6" speakers in the fronts of those, there like a 5" x 7"...someone correct me if im wrong
Back to top Go down
sm0089

sm0089

Headunits -  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Headunits -    Headunits -  EmptySun Jul 10, 2011 1:40 pm

yeah i heard about the kit for the BA's i know the guy's at len day in geelong going to have a chat to them. does anyone have any thought on good speakers? i was thinking of going for Alpine, i listen to mostly metal and rock if that makes a difference at all?
Back to top Go down
xr6_ghia

Headunits -  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Headunits -    Headunits -  EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 12:57 am

doesnt matter what genre of music u listen to, as you tune the amps/headunit to your specific music style, mine is for example, dance and rnb...which makes the songs perfect, but when i listen to rock or metal, it lacks bass, as the bass frequencies from genre to genre are different, so yeah it all comes down to tuning

as for ur speakers, anything really is good, ive used alpine type x's and although there price is high, there a damn good speaker with adjustable crossovers, but the likes of pioneer and rockford aswell...awesome...depends are u planning on running a sub at all?
Back to top Go down
sm0089

sm0089

Headunits -  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Headunits -    Headunits -  EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 2:32 pm

yeah going to run ALPINE S series sub n amp
Back to top Go down
xr6_ghia

Headunits -  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Headunits -    Headunits -  EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 1:03 am

good choice, im using the type S and for what its worth, it delivers clean bass for a dvc sub
Back to top Go down
sm0089

sm0089

Headunits -  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Headunits -    Headunits -  EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 12:48 pm

thanks mate
Back to top Go down
Tony.G

Tony.G

Headunits -  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Headunits -    Headunits -  EmptyFri Jul 22, 2011 9:49 pm

the car stereo debate is one like how long is a piece of string. after owning so many different types of cars over the years, and going through the wanting an awesome sound system phase i found it to be quite a challenge. the reason for this is because every car is different in acoustics. one of your mates might have a more home brand set up so to speak, and you can have top shelf but when you listen to the 2 his sounds so much different and sometimes better than yours. i honestly believe its more of a trial and error thing myself to achieve the kind of sound you want. the biggest problem with it is that it can cost an arm and a leg.

there are plenty of good branded speakers out there that sound great and have good life. the hardest part is that they sound completely different to eachother, as do head units. yes, most of the time it can be tuned with your amp and unit settings, but not always. some people recommend matching brands for everything or most of it, but ive found that it doesnt always give the results you want either.

one brand i have found to steer clear of for head units though is kenwood. when you compare kenwood units to almost any other, they sound flat as a tack and it cant be tuned out. bass and mid range is terrible for some reason.

also, sony speakers. they generally do sound ok, but have very poor service life. these are 2 lessons i have learnt.

these days, i tend to not really give much of a shit. i have a jvc head unit in the xd, and i have some cheap brand speakers to fill the holes. it sounds ok for rock/metal so it will do. xd has a massive gas tank in the boot so its hard to do much with it anyway. plus, the exhaust drowns out the stereo inside the car at highway speeds and above so there is no point. lol

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Headunits -  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Headunits -    Headunits -  Empty

Back to top Go down

Headunits -
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: The Workshop :: Totally Addicted To Bass-
Jump to: